Sunday, October 21, 2007

Galiano -- a place for action

Because George was going to attend a filmmaking workshop on Galiano Island, I decided to come along so we could visit with Chris, our friend over there.

It had been a few years since I'd been to Galiano, and happily, much seemed unchanged. I visited the local bookstore where I made my contribution to the local economy, and then of course the recycle store where the price is the best: free.

Chris and I also accomplished more permanent work. We built a new fence for the goats, Blackie and Bluey (named for the bruises they've been known to inflict on their human). We also took part in a letter-writing campaign -- a continuation of the ongoing process of protecting the forests and watershed of the island. The community hall was a busy place that Saturday morning, with everyone from kids to oldsters doing their bit for the future, questioning the proposed PMFL Act.

You might like to know more about their campaign. Who knows? You might even feel like sending a letter of your own!

No comments: