Monday, March 05, 2007

50 ways to . . . Part 5

My pace may be slower than it was earlier in the year, but I'm still finding lots of variety in the Canadian art that's all around me. Here are a few more steps as I make continue making my way to the magic 50 for 50.

#31 (February 27) On my way home from the pool (where I enjoy deep water running) I stopped by the Arts Council Gallery. Luckily, I was still able to catch the show of artwork by Jim Adams, as it was supposed to have been over on the 24th. I hope the painting I've added to this posting gives you some idea of Jim's work. It probably has to be called 'representational' in that its forms aren't abstractions, but it's what he does with the representational images that take them someplace else. This particular show, "Statements and Studies" could have easily been named something much more science-fictiony, as many of the pieces suggest visions of a not-altogether-reassuring future. I was glad I stopped in and that Adams' work was still on display. Definitely thought-provoking.

#32 (March 2) Fridays around here are traditionally a time for kickin' back. Pizza and wine -- that sort of thing. This week's feature entertainment was Trailer Park Boys: The Movie, so of course the beverage of choice had to be rum 'n Cokes. I'd seen enough episodes of the television show to wonder how the boys might sustain a story for an hour and a half. Well, they did it, and did it well. Yay, Bubbles, Julian and (most of all) Ricky! I like to say that this is Canadian content we can all be proud of (and yes, this is another from producer Ivan Reitman).

#33 (March 4) Our local Wheelhouse Theatre was the site for a musical production of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The production marks the 10th anniversary of The Young People's Theatre Company of Surrey (SYTCO). The group's mandate is to provide opportunities for local young people (ages 8-17) "to perform theatre in a professional setting." They certainly accomplished their mandate -- voices were pure (and on-key), choreography was energetic (and very well executed), and costumes and sets were remarkable. I was amazed by the emotional range of the performance, and have to admit to being surprisingly shaken up by the 'lost-in-the-cave' scene. Maybe I was just too close, sitting in only the second row. Still, I look forward to attending another of this obviously talented group's performances.

2 comments:

The Mule said...

I think The Trailer Park Boys flick will be an imminent rental 'round here.

I'm enjoying your 50 for 50; I should start compiling one myself. Music geeks love a list...

hg said...

It's good to hear that musicians like lists because my next 50 for 50 post includes music AND a list!

And hey, let me know what you think of TPB! I do think it's pretty much perfect for TGIF celebrations. This week, the plan is to get braindead with Borat. I figure a nice homemade red...